Warning: Your Facility may be selected for Environmental Inspection
Based on recent correspondence from industry, it appears that the Ministry of the Environment and Climate Change (MOECC) may be conducting inspections of facilities included in their 2013 targeted sectors. You have received this newsletter since, based on publicly available information, ORTECH has determined that your company may fall into one of these sectors.
A list of the 2013 target sectors from Schedule 5 of O. Reg. 419/05 is provided in Table 1 below.
The MOECC Environmental Officer will check to see if your facility has prepared an updated Emission Summary and Dispersion Modelling (ESDM) report that shows that your facility is in compliance with the new air emission standards that began to apply as of February 1, 2013. This report was to be prepared by that date.
What you need to know:
- Schedule 5 target sectors are subject to new air emission standards as of February 1, 2013
- Whether or not a facility falls into a Schedule 5 target sector depends on its North American Industry Classification System (NAICS) code
- The MOECC may have an incorrect NAICS code for your facility during their inspection – know your NAICS code beforehand so you can be sure that your facility is actually in a target sector (see link below for a list of NAICS codes and their description from Statistics Canada)
- An updated ESDM report assessing compliance with the new standards was to be prepared and kept on file as of February 1, 2013
- The ESDM report will need to be updated annual by March 31 of each year, beginning in 20134
- Your existing Certificate of Approval (CofA) or Environmental Compliance Approval (ECA) remains valid unless it has become out of date due to source changes.
Please contact Terry Lam at firstname.lastname@example.org , or 905-822-4120 Ext. 223, if you would like more information on this subject.
Table 1 – 2013 Target Sectors (O. Reg. 419/05 Schedule 5)
Some Useful Links:
- North American Industry Classification System (NAICS) Canada 2012 (Statistics Canada)
- ORTECH eNewsletter, March 2012: O.Reg. 419/05 Implementation of Newer Standards (ORTECH)
- What to Expect when an Environmental Officer Inspects your Facility (MOE)
Disclaimer: The information in this document should not be construed as legal or professional advice. ORTECH Consulting Inc. assumes no liability for any damages resulting from the use of this information by the reader.